Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Homemade Deoderant

At first I thought this might make me a little too "hippie", using homemade deoderant, but manufactured ones are full of chemicals which cause yellow pit stains.  And since I live in AZ, I sweat a lot; needless to say, I want to avoid the pit stains, plus just the chemicals in general.

Here's the ingredients:

2-3 Tbsp Coconut Oil (I found this on Amazon; I'm sure Whole Foods and TJ's has it, too)
1/8 Cup Baking Soda
1/8 Cup Arrowroot Powder or Cornstarch
***I doubled the recipe since I didn't have a 1/8 measuring cup!

Natures Way Coconut Oil-extra Virgin
Coconut Oil I ordered on Amazon.  $9.  Will go a long way.


Directions:
Warm the coconut oil in the microwave for about 30 seconds, or just until it liquifies.  Then mix the soda and the cornstarch together and slowly add the coconut oil until it forms a thick paste. 

So I did this, and after it formed the paste it kinda solidified.  But then once you touch it, it softens up, and you can spread it on.  So I kinda spread it like lotion.  I'm sure you could make this in a push-up form and use it more like normal deoderant.  I've been storing mine in just a glass, jam jar. 

Now, you could add any essential oil drops to make it smell the way you want.  I happen to like the coconutty smell....it's not strong....but I really don't like scented deoderant in the first place. 

I've been "testing" this deoderant for about 2 weeks, and I think it works great---the same, if not better, than store bought.  It's not super hot yet, so time may tell, but I think I will be sticking with this.  Not only is it better for myself and the environment, but it's also cheaper. Win. Win. Win.

No comments:

Post a Comment