Thursday, August 30, 2012

Fruited Spinach Salad

Tyson's company is doing another "bake-off", but this time it's more of a "cook-off" I guess because it's a side-dish contest.  Since I tied for First in the dessert competition, I have some high expectations placed on me!  The main dish is burgers, so I wanted to do something light and summery, and plus, Tyson requested this salad!  He asked what it's called, and I said, I guess "Fruited Spinach Salad".  The salad kind of adapts to the season, so since berries are still in season, I used a lot of that this time, but just use whatever you like and that is available.  Here's the details:

Ingredients:-bag of baby spinach, micro-greens, and/or arugala (I usually do a blend of spinach and arugala)
-mixed seasonal fruit: this time I did raspberries, thinly sliced strawberries, and thinly sliced nectarines....I just add enough so there's a good balance between green and the fruits (in the Fall, using apples and/or pears is good)
-two handfuls of dried cranberries (dried cherries or apricots are excellent, too)
-handful of sunflower seeds
-2 avocados, diced
-I cup crumbled Feta

Other options: add diced walnuts or almonds, add diced chicken, a little onion, any other fruits you think would be good


Dressing:
-equal parts balsamic, olive oil, and honey---I place the ingredients in a jar, nuke for about 10 secs., and then put lid on jar and shake.

Directions:
Rinse and prep your fruits and greens.  Then place in a large bowl.  Add the dried fruit and seeds, and lightly toss the mixture.  Sprinkle the avocado and feta on top.  Prep dressing and drizzle on top.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment