Tuesday, August 7, 2012

BBQ Tofu Sandwich

Tyson and I started eating less meat about a year ago, as we simply can't afford to buy organic meat all the time.  Plus I read "Fast Food Nation" and some other books I shouldn't have...

So to supplement, I started venturing into the world of tofu.  The taste is not bad, as it really just takes on the flavor of whatever you're cooking with, however the texture takes some getting used to.  Tofu Stirfry is a great way to start intoducing it, but I could only handle so much stir-fry!

So here's a recipe I kind of created:

Ingredients:
1 pkg. extra firm tofu, water drained, sliced into 1/2 inch slices
1 c. BBQ sauce of your choice
1/2 red onion, sliced
1 sweet potato, sliced into 1/4 inch slices and roasted (takes about 20 mins at 375)
1 avocado, sliced
cheese of your choice, sliced
lettuce
buns
****All the toppings are just my suggestions, but you can vary/omit whatever

Sauce:
equal parts mustard and mayo and a tablespoon of poppyseeds


Directions:

Cover slices in BBQ sauce and let rest for about 15 minutes.

Heat a non-stick pan with a little oil, and place tofu slices on at medium heat.  Cook each side about 5 minutes.

While tofu is cooking, put some sauce on the buns, and then layer the toppings.  Once tofu is done, add that to your topping-full buns, and then eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment